Friday, September 27, 2013

AGORAPHOBIA AND EXCUSES

Hi everyone another
Fri. and almost another month.
Neck troubles are under some control but a long term fix is really needed.

What have you all been up to this last week? I need some feedback.

I thought I would bring up the subject of personality. Did you know that being Agoraphobic changes your personality? I know it did mine. I viewed the world and people out of my Agoraphobic eyes. I saw the world and people according to how disabled I was.

 My conversations might go something like this. I don't go to movies because they are full of four letter words. Or they are full of sex scenes. All of this might be true but the real reason was I couldn't leave my house to go to a movie and if for some strange reason I did I had to sit in the back row or I would panic and wouldn't enjoy the movie anyhow.

Or maybe it is restaurants. The reason would be the food isn't any good or I would rather eat healthy at home. Agoraphobia was always speaking for me, I had no other voice.

I never felt like part of the group in a conversation, I felt like a listener. After loosing 80% of my symptoms things started to change. I became really interested in what people were saying because now I was not concentrating on my symptoms. I could sit and listen and enjoy what I was listening to.

I had an interesting thing happen to me tonight. I was invited to a girl get together tonight. The invitation came last week. My first thought was I am not going.! I still have trouble driving and I would have to drive at night. In my mind I had two good reason for not going. Not only that but I felt I was justified in not going because of these reasons. I spend the whole week saying " I am not going" and then I would say "well maybe I should go anyway" as it turned out I went. I didn't like driving in the dark but I was glad I made the effort. Also it has been about 7 months since the last time I drove. My husband and I go everywhere together so I don't have to. Even thought I had a legitimate reason for not going, sometimes we have to challenge ourselves. The drive was about 3 miles but that can feel like ten to an Agoraphobic. I think driving is like riding a bicycle you never forget.
That is it for this week, I will be back with another I hope interesting topic. I am getting tired of talking about me let's talk about you. Where are you in your Agoraphobic journey? Let's talk.

Remember it's not in your head but in your eyes!
Yolanda                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment